The Greatest NFL Players of All Time – Artificial Intelligence Joins the Discussion
- A new study from ChatGPT asked an offensive lineup of the best NFL players of all time
- Joe Montana was selected as the starting quarterback, ahead of seven-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady
- Jerry Rice was included – twice – as a wide receiver and tight end
A new study reveals the NFL’s final starting lineup includes the greatest offensive players of all time, according to Amnesty International.
Research conducted by onlinecasinos.com, which helps players find the best online casinos around the world, asked ChatGPT to identify the lineup and list the reasons for its choices. After selecting only ten players in the squad for the first time, this was the response of the generative AI:
- Quarterback: Joe Montana – Montana is widely regarded as one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. He won four Super Bowl championships with the San Francisco 49ers and was known for his accuracy, poise, and ability to perform under pressure.
- Running Back: Jim Brown – Brown is one of the most dominant running backs in NFL history. He led the league in rushing yards eight times in his nine-year career and was the NFL’s Most Valuable Player three times.
- Wide Receiver: Jerry Rice – Rice is often viewed as the greatest wide receiver of all time. He holds several NFL records, including most career receptions, receiving yards, and receptions. Rice won three Super Bowl rings during his career.
- Wide Receiver: Randy Moss – Moss was a game-changing receiver known for his incredible speed and ability to stretch the field. He holds the single-season record for touchdown receptions and was a six-time Pro Bowl selection.
- Tight End: Jerry Rice (dual role) – In this lineup, Rice plays a dual role as a wide receiver and tight end due to his versatility and exceptional skills.
- Offensive Tackle: Anthony Munoz – Munoz is widely regarded as one of the greatest offensive tackles in NFL history. He was a three-time NFL Offensive Lineman of the Year and a member of the NFL’s All-Decade Team in the 1980s.
- Offensive Tackle: Jonathan Ogden – Ogden was a dominant offensive tackle during his career with the Baltimore Ravens. He was an 11-time Pro Bowl selection and an excellent pass protector.
- Goalkeeper: John Hannah – Hannah was known for his toughness and was considered one of the best attacking men of his era. He was a nine-time Pro Bowl selection and NFL MVP as a lineman, a rare accomplishment.
- Guard: Larry Allen – Allen was a powerful and versatile offensive lineman who excelled at both run blocking and pass protection. He was an 11-time Pro Bowl selection and a Super Bowl champion.
- Center: Jim Otto – Otto was an ironclad player at center, playing in 210 straight games. He was a 12-time All-AFL/NFL selection and was a leading rusher at his position.
- Linebacker: Jim Brown (Dual Role as Fullback) – In this lineup, Jim Brown also plays a dual role as a fullback due to his versatility and amazing talent as a ball carrier.
ChatGPT prefaced its selection by noting that “Choosing a starting lineup for the greatest NFL players of all time is a subjective task, as opinions on the greatest players can vary greatly depending on individual preferences and eras. However, I can provide a list of some of the most popular players in NFL history based on their legendary careers and impact on the game. Keep in mind that this list is not exhaustive, and there are many other worthy players as well“.
Commenting on the study, an onlinecasinos.com spokesperson said: “Fans love debating the best players of all time, so it’s great to see how the AI handles this task. The lineup includes a lot of myths, and some information that could be false, such as the claim that… John Hannah was named NFL MVP. And although ChatGPT is careful to highlight that “opinions may vary, and there are many other deserving players in NFL history as well,” he does offer a strong hint as to which individual player he would select as Greatest of all time, because his line-up includes Jerry Rice twice, as a wide receiver and a tight end.
Athlete of the Week and Team of the Week:
Nominate an athlete or team: here
Pancakes or pancakes! We feature the best athletes in the region with our world-famous feature. Send us your nominations for who you’d like us to interview here
College athlete roundup! We want to honor student-athletes from the area who compete at the college level. Send us information about college athletes from the area through our simple form here
where are they now? We showcase athletes and difference makers from the past, standouts in the sport who have excelled over the years and moved forward. Do you know a former athlete, coach or difference maker we should feature? Do you know a former standout competitor with whom we should share his journey beyond Central Wisconsin Sports? Send us information about past athletes and difference makers through our simple form here
Baked or fried! We also showcase difference makers throughout central Wisconsin: coaches, booster club leaders, administration, volunteers, you name it. Send us your nominations for who you’d like us to interview here