Make homemade pop tarts perfect for fall with flavors like apple and cinnamon.
Solve the problem, solve the problem
Pop tarts, those delightful pockets of sweet nostalgia, hold a special place in our hearts. We all know the joy of putting one in the toaster and tasting that warm, gooey filling. bliss! But did you know that you can make flavor-packed pop tarts at home and cut out all those questionable ingredients found in the store-bought version at the same time?
That’s right, homemade apple cinnamon muffins are not only a delicious way to start your day or satisfy your snack cravings, but they also come with the added bonus of complete control over the ingredients. What’s more, this simple recipe is so easy to master, that even a novice baker can whip up a batch of bread with confidence. Here’s how to make delicious apple cinnamon muffins at home.
Watch the video above to learn how to make delicious apple cinnamon muffins at home.
How to make apple and cinnamon muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- Food processor
- In a food processor, mix the flour, ground cinnamon and cold unsalted butter.
- Pulse ingredients until they form a crumbly mixture.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup cold water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and roll out to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into rectangles using any household item as a mold, such as a bag of oats.
- Set the dough rectangles aside.
- 1 small apple
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Instructions for filling:
- Grate a small apple finely over a bowl.
- In the same bowl, mix the grated apple, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and melted butter until well combined.
Ingredients for frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Instructions for frosting:
In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, water, and ground cinnamon until the frosting reaches a smooth consistency.
Assembly and baking:
- Place 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar filling on half of the dough rectangles, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edges.
- Beat the egg and brush the corners and edges of the rectangles with the egg mixture.
- Place the remaining empty rectangles on top of the brown sugar filled rectangles and press the edges to seal.
- Use the back of a fork to crimp the edges for a classic tart look.
- Make several holes in the dough.
- Brush the edges with egg yolk.
- Place in the refrigerator for an hour or freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the pop tarts for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely before adding the cream.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting over the pop tarts using a spatula.
- Store prepared pop tarts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reviewed kitchen and cooking recommendations
Purchases you make through our links may earn us and our publishing partners a commission.
Reviewing helps you find the best stuff and make the most of what you already own. Our team of kitchen and cooking experts is always testing new kitchen gadgets, appliances, and more so you can shop for the best of the best.