Central York Fire Services offers holiday safety tips

Central York Fire Services offers holiday safety tips

Firefighters share safety tips for cooking, using candles, decorations and alarms

New release
Central New York Fire Services
************************
This holiday season, Central York Fire Services (CYFS) wants everyone to stay safe and make fire safety a top priority.

As we head into the holiday season, you’re probably spending more time in the kitchen while hosting holiday get-togethers. Remember to never leave the kitchen unattended as this is the leading cause of fires in Ontario.

CYFS encourages residents to follow these 10 tips for a fire-safe holiday season:

Be careful what you heat:

  • Create a “child-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot foods or drinks are prepared.
  • If a fat burn occurs during cooking, cover it with a lid. Never pour water into the pan.
  • Closely monitor anyone who attempts to cook while under the influence of alcohol. Alcohol is often a common factor in many fatal fires and it is important to be completely composed while preparing food or using any form of fire.
  • Watch what you are heating and never leave cooking unattended.

Go flameless:

  • Go flameless. Battery-operated candles are a great alternative, but if you have to light them, keep candles out of reach of pets and children, place the candle in a sturdy container and always extinguish it when you leave the room.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of the sight and reach of children. Matches and lighters can be deadly in the hands of children. If you are a smoker, keep only one lighter or book of matches and keep it with you at all times. Remember to smoke outdoors and use large, deep ashtrays.

Decoration management:

  • Do not overload outlets with extension cords and outlet extenders as this may cause them to overheat, which could result in a fire.
  • Water fresh trees daily and always keep the base of the Christmas tree trunk in water. Keep Christmas trees away from any ignition sources such as fireplaces, space heaters or candles.

be ready:

  • Protect your family with carbon monoxide (CO) alarms. If your home has a gas-fired appliance or an attached garage, you should have working carbon monoxide alarms outside all sleeping areas of your residence. Remember that most CO alarm models do not last as long as your smoke alarms. Check smoke and carbon monoxide alarm batteries and expiration dates.
  • Develop and practice a home fire escape plan with everyone in your household. In the event of an emergency, evacuate the home and call 911 from your chosen meeting location.

Be sure to follow CYFS on Facebook , Instagram and X for more holiday tips.

************************

You may also like...

Leave a Reply