Chicken Dinner Ideas: These simple pastries made with Dijon chicken look luxurious and take minutes to prepare
We love a recipe that looks special but is deceptively easy to make. Those recipes that bring all the flavour, all the convenience, and all the sophistication to the table, without any of the stress or complicated cooking techniques. Recipes impressive enough for the in-laws, but simple enough to enjoy alone in front of the TV. Chicken dinner ideas that are unique and refreshingly exciting. This recipe for Dijon Chicken Puff Pastry is one of those gems.
These delicious puff pastries cleverly use two ingredients that make our lives so much easier – store-bought rotisserie chicken, and frozen, packaged puff pastry. It should be said that roasting your own chicken and creating the perfect puff pastry recipe are two skills that should definitely be respected. But if we’re being honest, no one’s going to know you cut these loose, so go ahead and take all the credit. Using these two little tricks will provide you with a delicious, crunchy and super creamy dish that will keep you coming back.
In this dish, golden, fluffy pastry is filled with a creamy chicken and asparagus filling that suits any meal. It’s perfect for breakfast, served alongside fresh fruit and scrambled eggs, or for dinner, with a lovely simple salad.
Dijon chicken pot pie recipe
- 1 grilled chicken, chopped
- 2 sheets (1 package) frozen puff pastry, at room temperature
- 1 yellow onion, cut into cubes
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4-6 asparagus, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat (or vegetable oil)
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheets and roll them slightly to remove folded wrinkles, then place them on the baking tray.
- Saute the onions in bacon fat over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and asparagus and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the vegetables are cooking, combine the shredded chicken, cream cheese and Dijon in a mixing bowl, stirring until well combined.
- Add the onion mixture to the chicken mixture and mix well.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut each square of dough into 2 triangles, for a total of 4 triangles.
- Stuff each triangle of dough with the chicken and onion mixture, taking care not to stuff it too much.
- Fold the triangles by bringing the ends together to create a smaller triangle shape, and secure the edges by crimping with a fork.
- Using the same fork, pierce the top of the dough several times to create holes for steam to escape.
- Refrigerate until ready to bake or at least 15 minutes to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a little water to form the egg mixture.
- Brush each piece of pastry with egg yolk and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- For individual servings, cut each baked pastry in half, for a total of 8.
- Serve warm with a side salad.
(Tags for translation)Food and drinks