Delicious and comforting dinner ideas for the back-to-school season
Whether it’s transporting younger children to their after-school activities or helping older students take their exams, families get busy very quickly when kids return to school in the fall. But that doesn’t mean you can’t sit down together regularly for weekend dinner.
“Cook parents can effortlessly enhance flavor by relying on single-use spice packets. They take the guesswork out of creating the perfect spice blend and can make preparing weekend dinners during the back-to-school season much easier,” said Glenn Schutzman. Vice President of Marketing, Convenience Meals, McCormick.
To help make the transition a little easier and more delicious, McCormick, the world’s leading flavor company, shares its recipe for taco casserole, which can be prepared in just 30 minutes using seven simple ingredients. A great way to switch up your taco night, this family-pleasing dish, which has the potential to become a mainstay in your recipe collection, includes McCormick’s Original Taco Seasoning Blend. To add a vibrant Southwestern twist to any dish, use this classic spice blend to season soups, chili, casseroles, fajitas, dips, nachos, and of course, tacos.
Ingredients: (Makes 6 servings)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 packet McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn or Mexican style corn, drained
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup coarsely ground tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Brown the meat in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Fat depletion.
- Add spice mixture, beans, tomato sauce, and corn. It reached boiling point. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and tortilla chips.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve with various toppings, such as sour cream, cilantro, and avocado, if desired.
To purchase spices and spice blends, and for additional recipes and weekend inspiration, visit mccormick.com/recipes.
Don’t let the hectic back-to-school season overwhelm you. With simple ingredients, you can prepare delicious dinners that family members of all ages will love.