This delicious prawn cocktail recipe is the start of the “ultimate” Christmas dinner.
There are only a few days left until Christmas Day and the hosts are preparing to prepare Christmas dinner.
Many people go all out and enjoy appetizer, main course and dessert, as well as endless snacks and of course lots of Baileys. Nothing says Christmas quite like a classic prawn cocktail starter.
It’s been a staple since the 1960s and can be easy to make. A poll by Rodda’s revealed that the famous cocktail is Britons’ favorite drink, followed by steak and chips with pepper sauce and apple crumble. It has a light freshness in between the huge food intake on Christmas Day.
But there are so many different ways to prepare the dish, we’ve done the hard work for you and found a ‘super simple’ dish that will be a hit on your Christmas dinner table. Professional chef Aaron Middleton, from the Culinary Academy, shared his “super simple” prawn cocktail recipe on TikTok, and it only requires a few kitchen essentials.
The food expert, who regularly shares cooking hacks online, opened the video with shots of juicy prawns, perfectly placed on a bed of lettuce and topped with the classic pink sauce. To prepare the recipe, you will need a bowl, a grater, a spoon, a medium-sized non-stick frying pan, a knife, and a cutting board.
Ingredients included 60g mayonnaise, 40g ketchup, 5g Tabasco sauce, 5g Worcestershire sauce, 2 lemons, 5g smoked paprika, sea salt flakes, ground pepper, 50g cognac, 400g cleaned raw shrimp, selection of fine herbs, romaine lettuce. One, olive oil.
Shrimp cocktail recipe
- To start making the classic appetizer, simply mix together in a bowl mayonnaise, ketchup, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, the zest and juice of one lemon, most of the paprika, a pinch of salt and pepper, and herbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the shrimp with the other lemon peel, salt, pepper, cognac and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place the pan on the stove and make it “very hot” before adding the shrimp mixture. Safely and with a responsible adult, ignite the contents with a lighter and burn until the flame stops and the liquid reduces. Pour this on a tray and keep it aside.
- On a cutting board, cut half the lettuce and slice the lemon.
- Serve the lettuce on a plate, topped with shrimp, sauce and lemon.
“This looks amazing, definitely try it on Christmas Day,” one enthusiastic follower gushed in the comments section.
Another wrote: “This is so cool!” While a third shared: “Please bring a recipe book with all these recipes! It will be a bestseller for sure!”
Do you have a story to share? Email us at email@example.com